Here are the first ten programs from the eighth Nielsen Television Index (NTI) report for the 1966-1967 television season, covering the sixteenth and seventeenth weeks of the season, from Monday, December 26th, 1966 through Sunday, January 8th, 1967. The fifteenth week of the season (Monday, December 19th through Sunday, December 25th, 1966) was a Nielsen “black week,” which you can read all about here. The ratings were published in the January 30th, 1967 edition of Broadcasting. Note that these are the average of both week’s programming except in the case of specials or pre-emptions.
Sporting events were the only special programming during the two week period. The NFL Championship Game, between the Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers, was broadcast by CBS on Sunday, January 1st, 1967. The following day, NBC aired the Rose Bowl, pitting Southern California against Purdue. The games were ranked third and fourth, respectively, while the NFL Championship Post-Game came in eighth. The rest of the top ten was filled with regular network programming.
|3.||NFL Championship (Special)||CBS||30.3|
|4.||Rose Bowl (Special)||CBS||29.3|
|5.||Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.||CBS||28.9|
|6.||The Red Skelton Hour||CBS||27.9|
|7.||The Jackie Gleason Show||CBS||27.6|
|8.||NFL Championship Post Game (Special)||CBS||26.4|
|9.||The Beverly Hillbillies||CBS||25.3|
|10.||The Andy Griffith Show||CBS||25.8|
“CBS Edges Ahead in 8th Nielsen.” Broadcasting. 30 Jan. 1967: 60-61.
- (Historical TV Ratings) Nielsen Top Ten, September 26th, 1966 – October 9th, 1966
- (Historical TV Ratings) Nielsen Top Ten, November 21st, 1966 – December 4th, 1966
- (Historical TV Ratings) Nielsen Top Ten, December 5th, 1966 – December 18th, 1966
- (Historical TV Ratings) Nielsen Top Ten, January 9th, 1967 – January 22nd, 1967
- (Historical TV Ratings) Nielsen Top Ten, January 23rd, 1967 – February 5th, 1967