Here’s a rare audio recording: the bulk of a September 1972 installment of Indianapolis TV station WISH-TV’s The Big News Final newscast.
WISH-TV (Channel 8) in Indianapolis, Indiana was a CBS affiliate in 1972. I haven’t been able to find much information about the station’s local newscasts but I think its evening newscast was called The Big News and its late-night newscast was called The Big News Final.
I believe Mike Ahern is one of the anchors of this installment of The Big News Final, which I think aired from 11-11:30PM ET on Monday, September 25th, 1972. Also featured are WISH-TV reporters Sid Thompson and Frank Phillippi as well as CBS News reporter Bruce Hall.
Here’s a list of the news stories in the recording:
- Indianapolis Public School Students Transferred to New Schools
- Secretary of State Rogers Addresses the United Nations General Assembly on Hijacking
- House Committee Bill Banning Unauthorized Trips to Countries at Armed Conflict with the U.S.
- President Nixon to Limit Federal Spending
- Congressman John Moss Comments on Sacramento Sabre Jet Crash
- Gasoline Tank Explosion in Chattanooga
- President Nixon Speaks About the International Monetary Fund
- Senator McGovern Claims Nixon Administration Does Favors for Contributors
- Report on Indiana Medicaid Audit
- Marion County Unigov Approves Economic Development Commission
- House Approves Five Year Russian-American Nuclear Freeze
- Teenage Mother Accused of Trading Baby for a Car
- Mayor of New Orleans Gives Newsmen Certificates of Appreciation
- Stock Market Drops
- Controversy Over Georgetown University Anatomy Textbook with Pictures of Nude Women
The recording runs a little under 14 minutes and is likely incomplete. Both the opening and closing are included but the commercial breaks have been edited out.
Is this an otherwise lost television program? I don’t know for sure but there’s a chance this audio is all that survives of this particular newscast. I tried to contact WISH-TV, which is currently affiliated with The CW, but never heard back.
About This Recording
Source: Reel-to-reel audio tape
Date: Monday, September 25th, 1972
Station: WISH-TV (Channel 8, Indianapolis)